Quiz for Lessons 171 - 175
Parts of the Sentence - Review
Instructions: Using all the knowledge learned in the previous lessons, find the verbs, subjects, predicate nominatives, direct objects, appositives, nouns of address, adjectives, and adverbs in the following sentences. If there are any adjectives or adverbs, then tell what word they modify.
1. Soon John will be too big and will need far more time.
- Soon modifies will be and will need
- too modifies big
- big (predicate adjective) modifies John
- far modifies more
- more modifies time
2. The city council usually runs this city fairly efficiently.
- usually and efficiently modify runs
- this modifies city
- fairly modifies efficiently
3. Unfortunately all people are not free.
- Unfortunately and not modify are
- all modifies people
- free (predicate adjective) modifies people
4. The boat owner started the engine up and cast off the lines.
and castV offAdv theAdj linesDO.
- The and boat modify owner
- the modifies engine
- up modifies started
- off modifies cast
- the modifies lines
5. Mom, can I go and watch the game?
- the modifies game
6. How can you be so slovenly?
- How modifies can be
- so modifies slovenly
- slovenly (predicate adjective) modifies you
7. Yogurt is almost completely nonfattening.
- almost modifies completely
- completely modifies nonfattening
- nonfattening (predicate adjective) modifies yogurt
8. Mrs. Carter, that is my cousin David.
- my modifies cousin
9. Art Buchwald, a humorous writer, has a really good column.
aAdj reallyAdv goodAdj columnDO.
- a and humorous modify writer
- a and good modify column
- really modifies good
10. Did anyone call, Ann?