Parts of Speech - Prepositions
Here is a list of common words that can be used as prepositions: about, above, across, after, against, along, among, around, at, before, behind, below, beneath, beside, besides, between, beyond, but (when it means except), by, concerning, down, during, except, for, from, in, inside, into, like, near, of, off, on, out, outside, over, past, since, through, to, toward, under, until, up, upon, with, within, and without.
Instructions: Tell which of the italicized words are prepositions. Remember that prepositions must have an object.
1. Come in and sit down with me.
2. He climbed up on the ladder and through the window.
3. Mrs. Jones came by at suppertime but not since.
4. The firefighter crawled along with the child who was near death.
5. Since no noise came from the building, he walked away.