Mechanics - Punctuation - Apostrophes
Use the apostrophe with the contraction o'clock (of the clock) and before the last two digits of a year. Example: I was born in '40. (the year 1940)
Instructions: Supply the apostrophes in the following sentences.
1. I graduated in 58.
2. He said that he would be here by six oclock.
3. In 41 we had the day of infamy.
4. The whole thing was over by eight oclock in 85.
5. Santa still had not come by five oclock in the morning.
--For answers scroll down.
1. I graduated in '58.
2. He said that he would be here by six o'clock.
3. In '41 we had the day of infamy.
4. The whole thing was over by eight o'clock in '85.
5. Santa still had not come by five o'clock in the morning.
DAILY GRAMMAR - - - - by Mr. Johanson
Copyright 2012 Word Place, Inc - - All Rights Reserved.
For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our
lesson archive at http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.html. Our lessons are
Daily Grammar Lessons Search