Quiz 236 - 240
Parts of the Sentence - Verbals
Instructions: Find the gerunds, gerund phrases, participles, participial phrases, infinitives, or infinitive phrases in these sentences, tell what kind of verbal they are, and how they are used.
1. Are you too busy to help us?
- to help us (adverb infinitive phrase) modifies busyPAdj
2. The crying child rushed to his mother.
- crying (participle) modifies childS
3. He jumped from the cliff without looking down.
- looking down (gerund phrase) used as the object of the preposition without
4. Walking is good for everyone.
- Walking (gerund) used as the subject
5. Jim loves to play basketball.
- to play basketball (noun infinitive phrase) used as the direct object
6. Correction by others is hard to take.
- to take (adverb infinitive) modifies hardPAdj
7. Fearing their enemies, many small animals are nocturnal.
- Fearing their enemies (participial phrase) modifies animalsS
8. Law and Order is the program to watch tonight.
- to watch tonight (adjective infinitive phrase) modifies programPN
9. I don't know whether to go or to stay.
- to go and to stay (noun infinitives) used as direct objects
10. Our next job, to finish the painting, should be easy.
- to finish the painting (noun infinitive phrase) used as the job
- painting (gerund) used as the direct object to to finish