Parts of Speech - Adverbs
Many adverbsAdverbs are words that modify verbs, adjectives, and other adverbs. They tell how (manner), when (time), where (place), how much (degree), and why (cause).
Source: Lesson 46 end with ly which is a good clue to adverb recognition, but not all words that end in ly are adverbs. Some words such as daily, yearly, hourly can be either adverbs or adjectivesAdjectives modify or affect the meaning of nouns and pronouns and tell us which, whose, what kind, and how many about the nouns or pronouns they modify.
Source: Lesson 31.
Instructions: Pick out the adverbs in these sentences.
1. Daily we did our very hard lessons.
2. The yearly crop was totally ruined by the weather.
3. Hourly we listened to the rapidly falling rain.
4. The friendly person suddenly ran up to me.
5. The unusually large dog jumped outside and licked my face.