Mechanics - Punctuation - Hyphens
Use a hyphen in a compound adjective that is a fraction. Example: You need a two-thirds majority for passage.
Instructions: Supply hyphens where they are needed in these sentences.
1. For that recipe you need one fourth cup of cream.
2. Cut off three eighths of an inch from that board.
3. That bug is only seven sixteenths of an inch long.
4. A three fifths majority is really 60 percent.
5. The bylaws require a three fourths majority to change them.
--For answers scroll down.
1. For that recipe you need one-fourth cup of cream.
2. Cut off three-eighths of an inch from that board.
3. That bug is only seven-sixteenths of an inch long.
4. A three-fifths majority is really 60 percent.
5. The bylaws require a three-fourths majority to change them.
DAILY GRAMMAR - - - - by Mr. Johanson
Copyright 2014 Word Place, Inc - - All Rights Reserved.
For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our
lesson archive at http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.html. Our lessons are
Daily Grammar Lessons Search